Welcome to Mrs. Bracy's 6th Grade Science Class
Welcome to 6th grade. It is my absolute pleasure to be your child’s Science teacher. I am confident that we will have a very positive and successful school year. It is my objective to provide all of my students with an academically challenging, yet fun, experience in my classroom. Each and every day I will aim to inspire and enrich their minds. I look forward to teaching and getting to know your child as we embark on this wonderful journey of learning.
Let me tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Tonya Bracy. This is my 15th year teaching 6th grade Science at Long Middle School. I am a native of Chesterfield, SC where I currently reside with my husband of fifteen years and my two sons. During my spare time, I enjoy fishing, shopping, and spending time with family and friends.
We have an exciting year ahead of us. We will be studying and working on many new and exciting things this year. We will do several types of graded activities each grading period in order to reach your child’s individual learning style. I have very high expectations for your child and I will do all that I can to ensure your child reaches those expectations.
- The student will use the science and engineering practices, including the processes and skills of scientific inquiry, to develop understandings of science content.
- The student will demonstrate an understanding of the interactions within Earth’s systems (flow of energy) that regulate weather and climate.
- The student will demonstrate an understanding of the properties of energy, the transfer and conservation of energy, and the relationship between energy and forces.
- The student will demonstrate an understanding of how scientists classify organisms and how the structures, processes, behaviors, and adaptations of animals allow them to survive.
- The student will demonstrate an understanding of the structures, processes, and responses that allow protists, fungi, and plants to survive and reproduce.
- Have a positive attitude. Always show respect for everyone in the class. Treat people the way you want to be treated.
- Be in your assigned seat and ready to work as soon as class begins.
- No food or drink in the classroom. This includes gum and candy.
- Use the restroom between classes or during lunch.
- Don't talk when someone else is talking. Wait your turn!
- Be prepared daily with your planner, notebook, paper, pencils, etc.
- Keep your hands, feet, and other objects to yourself.
- Follow ALL school rules and procedures.
1st Offense: Warning
2nd Offense: 10 minutes Lunch Detention and parent contact
3rd Offense: Whole lunch detention and Parent Contact
4th Offense: After School Detention with writing assignment and
5th Offense: Team Meeting with Student, Parents, and administrator6th Offense: Office Referral
If at any time during the year you should have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I believe that communication is essential to a great parent-teacher relationship. I encourage you to contact me if you have any concerns at any time. You can send me a note, email me @ [email protected] or call me at (843) 921-1010 ext. 1205.
Students will receive teacher observation each day to ensure that they are on task and understanding the information and following directions. Student grades will be based on classwork, tests, experiments, quizzes, and projects for each nine weeks. The following procedure will be used to record student progress:
90-100 A 80-89 B 70-79 C 60-69 D Below 59 F
-Loose leaf paper
-Headphones or earbuds